Re: How to build-depend on a C++11-capable compiler?

Le 21/07/2014 23:19, Gert Wollny a écrit :
>> Last time I asked:
>>
>> https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2013/09/msg00335.html
>>
>> It was prefered to provide a C++98 ABI compatible library for the time
>> being. If you start providing a C++11 ABI library people will not be
>> able to mix symbols from your lib and other part of debian system. As
>> far as I understand the whole debian should transition to C++11 ABI at
>> the same time.
>
> Well, since g++-4.9 now c++11 feature complete (with one exception
> afair)  the situation is probably a lot better now.

Hi,

Debian is the primary development platform of Gyoto, so Gyoto is known
to work in this context. There is also no reverse dependency as of now,
and I don't expect any to emerge any time soon (at least not before the
freeze!). I have checked the ABI compatibility page at
 https://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/Cxx11AbiCompatibility
and I don't see anything relevant to Gyoto either.

[...]
> The only problem I came across in all this time was with BOOST,

Gyoto actually uses Boost (just odeint and multiprecision). Do you know
whether there are incompatibilities in these?

Anyway, I think I'll just go ahead and don't build-depend on a specific
compiler, because Gyoto can be built already with Wheezy's default
compiler in C++11 mode. Thanks all for your tips.

Kind regards, Thibaut.

--
* Dr Thibaut Paumard       | LESIA/CNRS - Table équatoriale (bât. 5)   *
* Tel: +33 1 45 07 78 60   | Observatoire de Paris - Section de Meudon *