Re: MATE 1.8 has now fully arrived in Debian

On Tue, Jul 1, 2014 at 5:53 PM, Wookey <wookey@wookware.org> wrote:
> +++ Stefano Zacchiroli [2014-06-30 11:43 +0200]:
>>
>> What's funny about an OS stating publicly that a specific piece of Free
>> software---shipped and installed by default by that very same OS---"must
>> die"?
>
> Every package name in debian is not a 'statement of the OS' as a
> whole. Each one is just a package name, most of which are vaguely
> descriptive, some are punny, many rather cryptic. None that I can
> think of are a 'statement'.
>
> The systemd people won the argument. Giving those who prefer not to
> use it (yet) a slightly childish package to install is a small
> consolation for them and really shouldn't be taken very seriously. I'm
> afraid the name amused me - and I assume I'm not the only one.
>
> But OK. I get it - this is still too contentious to have any room for
> this sort of foolishness and if it's to exist at all it'll have to be
> called something boring. That's a little sad, but we'll all
> survive. This isn't supposed to be a big deal, just a small
> convenience.

For the sake of "fun", let's go ahead and upload packages with
provocative names. That's sure to foster goodwill between the pro- and
anti-systemd camps within Debian, right?

Sorry to be a spoilsport here, but I'll take "boring" any day of the
week if the potential alternative is another heated discussion that'll
eventually devolve into mudslinging or general unpleasantness.

Regards,
Vincent