Re: MATE 1.8 has now fully arrived in Debian

+++ Stefano Zacchiroli [2014-06-30 11:43 +0200]:
> On Mon, Jun 30, 2014 at 10:27:49AM +0100, Lars Wirzenius wrote:
> > On Mon, Jun 30, 2014 at 10:42:09AM +0200, Tollef Fog Heen wrote:
> > > ]] Thomas Goirand
>
> What's funny about an OS stating publicly that a specific piece of Free
> software---shipped and installed by default by that very same OS---"must
> die"?

Every package name in debian is not a 'statement of the OS' as a
whole. Each one is just a package name, most of which are vaguely
descriptive, some are punny, many rather cryptic. None that I can
think of are a 'statement'.

The systemd people won the argument. Giving those who prefer not to
use it (yet) a slightly childish package to install is a small
consolation for them and really shouldn't be taken very seriously. I'm
afraid the name amused me - and I assume I'm not the only one.

But OK. I get it - this is still too contentious to have any room for
this sort of foolishness and if it's to exist at all it'll have to be
called something boring. That's a little sad, but we'll all
survive. This isn't supposed to be a big deal, just a small
convenience.

Wookey
http://wookware.org/