Re: How to avoid stealth installation of systemd?

On 2014-07-01, Steve Langasek <vorlon@debian.org> wrote:
>   https://bugs.debian.org/src:systemd-shim
>
> Show me a bug report, not FUD.

I'd rather point to the likely-faulty code.

it is likely in or around
src:kde-workspace/powerdevil/daemon/backends/upower/powerdevilupowerbackend.cpp
when checking for suspend capabilities with upower from experimental.

Something in there doesn't properly detect that systemd-shim + logind actually can
let you suspend the machine (and upower 0.99 has delegated it to
logind).

>> Also, post-upgrade-pre-reboot systems has had issues since forever,
>
> No.  There have been very few instances in which the system was left in an
> unusable state after a dist-upgrade, even for desktops.

Try do a update of your kde-plasma-desktop across where the internal
on-disk data cache changes (at least every y in x.y.z, and sometimes in
.z releases). The web browser stops working, the email application stops
working, anything that uses the on-disk caches for looking up their
plugins ceases to work.

This is how it has been as long as I've been around.

>> and I think even the upgrade notes recommends to not dist-upgrade from
>> within X.
>
> This was written at a time when X itself was considered flaky enough that it
> posed a risk to the user's ability to complete the upgrade.  After years of

|4.1.5. Prepare a safe environment for the upgrade
|
|The distribution upgrade should be done either locally from a textmode
|virtual console (or a directly connected serial terminal), or remotely
|via an ssh link.

> Unless we bring one back by letting systemd + desktop environments screw us
> over anew.

Here is nothing new.

/Sune