Re: How to avoid stealth installation of systemd?

On Tue, Jul 01, 2014 at 06:53:27PM +0200, Juliusz Chroboczek wrote:
> > The replies were not just terse, the replies were downright rude.
>
> That's hardly the main problem with Michael's behaviour.

I stand by what I said yesterday, in a different thread, but the same
mailing list:

# When a project the size of Debian makes a decision on a controversial
# subject, it is natural, and expected, that there is vigorous debate
# about the topic before a decision is reached. After that, however, if
# the debate continues, or members of Debian keep trying to fight the
# decision, or keep bringing it up over and over again, it hurts the
# ability of the project to continue working. If every decision we make
# needs to be re-discussed at the whim of any one disgruntled individual
# for years to come, nobody's going to have fun.

Juliusz, you concluded your bug report with the following paragraph:

> Folks, I understand that you're excited about systemd, but this sort
> of stealthy pulling in of code is something that really pisses
> people off. If I'd rather not be running 150000 lines of code as pid
> 1, please respect my wishes.

What you did was continue a multi-year-long flame war about systemd.
That was not cool. Even were that not the case, you should have known
that it would not help resolve the problem by being offensive to the
people whose help you need to get things fixed, but you did it anyway.
Was that wise?

Did you deserve to be mistreated because of your impoliteness? No, you
didn't, and, as it happens, I don't think you were. Michael gave you a
constructive suggestion for how to deal with the situation, and even
if was brief about it, I can't see that he was impolite about it.

If you knowingly provoke people, and they don't jump to fulfil your
demands on their free time, then I don't consider that to be rude.

Juliusz:
> I've filed hundreds of bugs against Debian over the last fifteen years.
> The kind of attitude exhibited by Michael is fairly rare, but when it
> happens, it harms the whole project by driving users away from the bug
> tracker.  I therefore stand by my point that DDs should be held to higher
> standards than random users.

I think we should hold everyone to the same standard of behaviour.
Anything else is rude.

Now, can we please stop this thread? It has already pissed off enough
people.

--
http://www.cafepress.com/trunktees -- geeky funny T-shirts
http://gtdfh.branchable.com/ -- GTD for hackers