Re: Debian default desktop environment

On Sat, Apr 05, 2014 at 07:57:50PM +0200, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> Could you please sum up those discussions and explain what kind of
> changes you would consider to be productive?

I can sum up the discussions that were had last time on debian-devel for
you, at least as I remember them.

* XFCE fits on one installation CD, which is relevant for those people
  who have slow or expensive Internet access (which is many parts of the
  developing world).  The older machines which may be more likely to be
  in use in those areas may not have a DVD drive, or downloading 4 GB
  for a DVD may be prohibitive in time or cost.
* It works better on older and less powerful machines[0].
* Some people claim that the interface is more familiar for
  non-technical people coming from other operating systems.  This is the
  subject of much debate, however.
* Similarly, some people dislike the GNOME shell interface and prefer a
  more traditional desktop environment[1].
* There were concerns about accessibility support, "particularly for the
  blind"[2].

[0] I have personally found this to be the case.  I've had older
machines where GNOME simply took up too many resources and was sluggish,
but XFCE ran fine.
[1] The very existence of MATE provides some support for this argument,
at least.
[2] http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=tasksel/tasksel.git;a=commitdiff;h=dfca406eb694e0ac00ea04b12fc912237e01c9b5