Re: Debian default desktop environment

On Fri, Apr 04, 2014 at 16:19 +0100, Jonathan Dowland wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 04, 2014 at 04:42:19PM +0200, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> > And can I pass my granddad's phone call on to you when he is stuck
> > choosing among names that are absolutely obscure to him like "GNOME",
> > "Xfce", and "KDE"?
>
> No, just say pick a random one. Surely they'll all be entirely appropriate
> for your grandad by the time we release jessie ;)

Well, one might argue that DEs are either a suitable pick for our users or
they are not and that the actual choice from the "suitable" set is therefore
irrelevant.

I would like to see the "No default" scheme implemented in such a way that
users are shown a picture of the desktop + one/two sentences about the DEs.
That way the user would be actually more likely to pick a DE (s)he likes.

But then I also believe that Gnome 3 is, like XFCE, a perfectly reasonable
choice and would be perfectly happy with Gnome 3.

One thing I dislike about switching the default DE is that it puts a lot of
people active in support in a position in which they might not actually be as
familiar with the DE they will end up supporting most frequently simply by
having learned a different "default" one a few generations back. The
information flow from experienced users to new users is thereby slightly
hampered.
--
Wolodja <debian@babilen5.org>

4096R/CAF14EFC
081C B7CD FF04 2BA9 94EA  36B2 8B7F 7D30 CAF1 4EFC