Debian default desktop environment

Hello,

I'm a Debian user for almost 8 years now and I've always supported the OS on the internet, trying to bring more people to it.

The problem is that right now Debian project is changing its default desktop environment, and I think that this is not a good move. Of course, it all depends on where the project is aiming at, specially on which users. But, for normal users, Gnome 3 is a way better experience than Xfce.

I'm not suggesting that Linux (in general) should "be a Windows". NOT AT ALL. But Windows is the comparison for lots of newcomers, and Xfce looks a lot like Windows 98. I'm sorry, but it does.

New users coming from Windows want a more dynamic and fluid desktop. And, by the way, if the discussion is about computer resources, Gnome 3 helps on "discovering" if your system can handle those new improvements. In my point of view, installing Xfce as default desktop environment means ignoring the fact that desktops are changing drastically, in a positive way, exactly where Gnome 3 is going.

I had my first time at Gnome 3. At the beggining I was really confused. I kept asking "what happened to Gnome?". I was lost there and very angry about the changes. But I decided to try it before curse it. And I don't want to change it anymore.

Now when I have to run Windows on my PC I always try the hotkeys and hotspots that Gnome 3 brings and I really miss them. They help me a lot when just surfing the internet or when I'm at work. And that is just one point that I'm making.

It's all about getting used to it. People have to try it! Like I said, I had the same feeling that a lot of people from the comunity does. It's just normal. We don't like changes. But this one worth it.

So, in conclusion, when I suggest Debian for my friends, I prefer them to install the system and end up with Gnome 3 than Xfce. The latter should remain as it currently is: being an desktop environment alternative.

Thanks!

P.S.: Please, I ask the maintainers to forward this email to the correct list if this is not the ideal place for this discussion/suggestion.

Felipe