Re: Technical committee acting in gross violation of the Debian constitution

"Enrico Weigelt, metux IT consult" <enrico.weigelt@gr13.net> writes:
> On 27.11.2014 00:29, Noel Torres wrote:
>
>> manpower required to maintain a distribution with more than one init
>> system widey installed, manpower to perform the required changes to
>> support multiple init systems in Jessie, centered about the most
>> important question: our users.
>
> Just curious: how large actually is the overhead for that ?
>
> For most packages, that IMHO should be just still writing/updating init
> scripts parallel to systemd service descriptors. I haven't had the time
> for a deeper analysis (systemd specifications aren't entirely precise
> and complete ;-o), but maybe we could even generate them from an common
> primary source, at least for a large portion of the cases.

All this has been discussed extensively in the last 3 years, and it has
been attempted before that: https://wiki.debian.org/MetaInit.

> But there are other cases like GNOME (and IIRC KDE), which now seem
> to rely on systemd. I haven't done a deeper analysis
[...]

Other people have, and (again) it has been discussed extensively in the
least year. Please review the archives.

Best,
-Nikolaus