Re: DE features dependent on Systemd

On Wed, Dec 03, 2014 at 01:01:12PM +0100, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> Wouter Verhelst <wouter@debian.org> wrote:
>         On Sun, Nov 30, 2014 at 03:02:51PM +0100, Matthias Urlichs wrote:
>         > The default should be safe.
>
>         No.
>
>         The default should be as safe as we can make it without becoming
>         inconvenient.
>
>         As long as we still support non-logind configurations (and I believe we
>         still do at this point), having the first user added to several groups
>         will still be necessary, otherwise non-logind configurations will not
>         have working audio, and that is inconvenience.
>
> We don’t support non-logind configurations.
> We support non-systemd-as-pid-1 configurations, but they still run
> logind through systemd-shim.

Eh?  Sound does work without systemd, not only alsa but also pulseaudio.
The latter has no dependencies other than Recommends:rtkit ->
Recommends:policykit-1 to give it realtime scheduling priority (no
connection with ACLs).

> In both cases (systemd-sysv or systemd-shim), ACLs should be correctly
> set for the current user.
>
> This “adduser first-user audio” was already useless in squeeze and it
> hasn’t changed.

Only if you run logind or consolekit.  Without them (ie, on headless boxes
or with classic-type WMs) you do need to access the devices which are mode
660 root:audio.

--
// If you believe in so-called "intellectual property", please immediately
// cease using counterfeit alphabets.  Instead, contact the nearest temple