Re: successful upgrade to jessie - thanks!

Hi,

Marc Haber:
> Which significantly changes things in Jessie since the majory of
> services is still started via the old rcX.d mechanism, and thus
> starting to runlevels behaves completely different from what users
> expect.

Well, I wouldn't expect runlevel 2 to start a graphical desktop either.
But it does; my /etc/inittab states that "2" is the default runlevel
and an unmodified /etc/init.d/gdm3 contains

# Default-Start:     2 3 4 5

So, sorry, but the default behavior is already broken for a whole lot of
users – who simply fail to notice. There is _no_way_ I can boot my desktops
to a sane multi-user state (i.e. no X11 or *dm, if one of these decides to
act up and wedge the system) without jumping through hoops, and there has
not been one for ages.

At least systemd's named targets actually mean something.

> This is bad.

Please consider that Fedora has changed their init system twice, so far.
Their world did not end when they did that, so please don't assume that
it will when we switch.

I fully expect that almost all of users will not notice. The rest will have
to heed the "you have customized your init defaults" warning we still need
to implement – and either test before they leap, or decide to stay with
sys5 until they are in a position to fix problems on-site.

--
-- Matthias Urlichs