Re: Embedded systems and systemd

Hi,

Tollef Fog Heen:
> I'm not Simon, but one valid argument I've heard is that embedded stuff
> has a tendency to get stuck on old vendor kernels, something that
> doesn't work so well when systemd uses newer kernel interfaces.

That attitude is unfortunately not limited to "traditional" embedded
systems; I made the mistake of buying a heap of ODROID-U2 cubes before
I learned that they have no plans to upstream their kernel changes. :-(

> Apart from «don't use new kernel interfaces» (something that upstream
> won't do, ditto for adding workarounds fro old kernels), I don't really
> see this as easily fixable.

Mmh. If we're talking about

> > building future embedded systems using systemd

then presumably that system's kernel is new enough. Otherwise,
a legacy system running sysVrc will presumably continue to do so
_and_ Debian will probably continue to ship sysVrc files that are
good enough for embedded systems (*), so I guess I don't really .

(*) IME one key feature you might not need on embedded systems is a way
    to reliably shut down services, as the things tend to simply get
    unplugged or disconnected.

--
-- Matthias Urlichs