Re: init system policy

Ian Jackson <ijackson@chiark.greenend.org.uk> writes:

> Philip Hands writes ("Re: init system policy"):
>> Ian Jackson <ijackson@chiark.greenend.org.uk> writes:
>> > I don't know how much etckeeper users use modifying (rather than
>> > recording) git operations, but I can imagine that this approach might
>> > easily result in etckeeper's git fighting with dpkg.
>>
>> How so?
>
> I mean, if you were to say something like
>    git checkout /lib/something
>    git revert [some commit that touches /lib/something]
>    git reset --hard @{yesterday}
>
> You would be modifying, via git, files in /lib.  The interaction
> between dpkg and git would probably be ... exciting.

Well, yes.  I think you've got to have a very clear idea what's going to
happen if you do a reset --hard @{yesterday} in /etc as it is, and it's
going to be about as bad an idea if you've upgraded packages in the
interim doing that in /etc as in /lib (well, at least if you do that
without a careful look at the diff first, which would probably deal with
the /lib/something case too).

Cheers, Phil.