Re: systemd breaking display manager - no way to force?

On Fri, Nov 21, 2014 at 07:28:55AM +0200, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> On Vi, 21 nov 14, 09:45:51, Norbert Preining wrote:
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > so here we are, after the freeze, and systemd stubbornly rejects
> > to start lightdm, my default display manager, and in turn tries
> > to start lxdm, which does not work because it is not selected as
> > default display manager. (Bug reported to systemd already)
> >
> > Is there *any* way to *force* systemd to start lightdm ...?
>
> I have a hunch the bug is actually in lxdm (specifically the service
> file). It should be simple to verify:
>
> - purge lxdm (remove might do it as well, but just for good measure)
> - reconfigure lightdm (to make sure display-manager.service symlink
>   points to lightdm.service)

Although I am still using sysvinit I have both display managers installed
in this sid box and to my surprise,

/etc/systemd/system/display-manager.service

symlink is not present here, although

/lib/systemd/system/lightdm.service
/lib/systemd/system/lxdm.service
/lib/systemd/system/gdm3.service

are available.

Norbert, what happens at your box? If the symlink is present, where does
it point to?

Does a bug report about this already exists? Just to send follow-ups
there rather than to debian-devel.

Regards,

--
Agustin