Re: policy regarding redistributable binary files in upstream tarballs

Hi,

Russell Stuart:
> Admittedly this meshes well with my experience that they are often
> fairly lax about what they put in those tarballs.  Their "make
> distclean" scripts are often not as good as they could be

Or they're better, in that a "make distclean" removes files like
*.min.js which a subsequent "make" does not rebuild even if the unminified
source is there, which it frequently is not.

> That's just me being lazy I guess.  But there is a deeper issue.  For me
> it is vital there be an audit trail from the pristine upstream tar ball
> to the binaries we distribute.

These days, they might just push their repo to github and let its machinery
generate the tarballs, which TTBOMK aren't guaranteed to be 1:1 identical to
another tarball of the same commit that's downloaded a week later. Or a
year.

> [b]  Add a section to the .dsc (say Pristine-Sha256) that contains the
>      URL's and hashes from step [a.1].

Or one that contains the upstream VCS repo's URL and commit ID?

NB: *URLs.

> [4]  Unpacking to a separate build directory neatly sidesteps several
>      Debian nits.

So would having the Debianized source in a VCS; then you can just tell it
to return to pristine state (git reset --hard && git ls-files --others -z |
	xargs -0r rm -f).

--
-- Matthias Urlichs