Re: RFC: DEP-14: Recommended layout for Git packaging repositories

On 17/11/14 16:24, Ian Jackson wrote:
> I don't think this problem, of a mass of different branch structures,
> is going to go away any time soon.  Simply because people don't seem
> able to agree.
>
> My answer is to create a parallel universe in which the branch
> structure is known.

As far as I can see, in effect, Kali's answer can be described by the
same sentence, except that Kali's parallel universe doesn't have the
same known branch structure you do, presumably because Raphael's
preferences are different; Kali's known branch structure is "what
git-import-dsc does" whereas yours is based on what "dpkg-source -x"
produces, resulting in different trees in the repository for 3.0 (quilt)
packages.

As far as I can see from what you've said elsewhere, for source format
3.0 (quilt), you're aiming for the "patches applied and also serialized
in debian/patches/" state (matching git-dpm I think?), whereas Kali ends
up with the "patches serialized in debian/patches/ but not applied"
state (matching gbp-pq).

Is that a fair characterization?

Is your current work-in-progress on teaching dgit better 3.0 (quilt)
handling available anywhere? I'd be interested in trying out the new way
while comparing the same package in different repository layouts.