Re: Technical committee acting in gross violation of the Debian constitution

On Mon, Nov 17, 2014 at 09:20:56PM +0100, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> > In retrospect, the CTTE may not be working consensus hard enough, and
> > for that, I'm sorry. Working to achieve consensus is very difficult,
> > time consuming, and fraught. It takes a huge time commitment, and even
> > after spending the time, the CTTE may still have to make a decision.

> I don’t think it is wrong to want to have a decision at some point, if
> the attempts at consensus have failed. Keeping issues in the open for
> months, even years, is not going to magically solve them.

> It’s not because the resolution is wrong, either. Of course, my opinion
> is that it is wrong, and that it is going to rain fire on us when
> upgraded systems do not behave like freshly installed ones.

How do you arrive at the conclusion that this in any way causes upgraded
systems to be have differently from freshly-installed ones?  The only thing
this dependency swap affects is whether installing a DE on top of an
existing system which has deliberately opted for a non-default init causes a
different init to be chosen.

This is not about the choice of init for upgraded systems, /at all/.