Re: Technical committee acting in gross violation of the Debian constitution

On Mon, 17 Nov 2014, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> Le samedi 15 novembre 2014 à 16:16 -0800, Don Armstrong a écrit :
> > The technical committe was asked in #746578 to override the ordering
> > of the alternative dependencies on systemd-sysv and systemd-shim to
> > prefer the installation of systemd-shim in cases where sysvinit-core
> > was already installed.
>
> This decision has been made in gross violation of constitution §6.3.6,
> being summoned to override a maintainer’s choice while the solution
> was still under discussion.

§6.3.6 does not prevent the CTTE from being presented an issue early. It
stops the CTTE from deciding an issue before a consensus approach has
been attempted. In this particular case, I felt that a consensus
approach had been attempted when this issue came up for a vote. This
particular bug has been open since May, and was discussed at length.

In retrospect, the CTTE may not be working consensus hard enough, and
for that, I'm sorry. Working to achieve consensus is very difficult,
time consuming, and fraught. It takes a huge time commitment, and even
after spending the time, the CTTE may still have to make a decision.

I had naïvely assumed that making what I thought were technically
defensible decisions was good enough. Clearly, enough people in the
project disagree, and want the CTTE to work harder on consensus first
before deciding.

I'm already working to rectify that in the case of #766708, and I'm
certain we could use more help finding consensus with #750135, and maybe
even #741573. If this is something you (or anyone else in the project)
feels strongly about, please, work with the CTTE to help find consensus
on these issues, so we don't actually have to decide.

Quite the contrary; they *love* collateral damage. If they can make
you miserable enough, maybe you'll stop using email entirely. Once
enough people do that, then there'll be no legitimate reason left for
anyone to run an SMTP server, and the spam problem will be solved.
 -- Craig Dickson in <20020909231134.GA18917@linux700.localnet>