Re: Being part of a community and behaving

On 16/11/14 17:16, Scott Kitterman wrote:
The cure for inappropriate speech is more speech.  Calling people on things that are inappropriate or that cause problems in the project is exactly the right thing to do.
I was trying to point out the futility of trying to ask people to show restraint, as calling a (subjectively) innocent joke offensive is every bit as offensive as the original joke.
 "Refrain from stirring the fire by saying it's wrong" is backwards.
Over a decade ago I worked for a company I will not name. Suffice it to say it is a company producing firewalls. In the course of debugging one feature, I managed to create a RST storm. It is the same as an ACK storm[1], only with RST packets.

The discussion here reminds me of those times.

I am not telling anyone to shut up. Everyone are free to criticize whatever and wherever. I am merely suggesting that shutting up might be a smarter course of action.

Of course, I'm sure there are those who will find my mail offensive, and will be most prudent in letting me, and everyone else, know about it. As such, I promise to henceforth accept my own advice. This is my last email on this thread.

Shachar
1 - http://security.stackexchange.com/questions/49827/how-are-ack-storms-created-and-whats-a-good-mitigation-strategy-for-them