Re: RFC: DEP-14: Recommended layout for Git packaging repositories

Hi,

Bernhard R. Link:
> I think such a document would do well to not say much about upstream
> branches or imply how they should be managed.

It is helpful to base the Debian release on an Upstream release that is
actually tagged by Upstream, provided that the version thus tagged is the
basis for ongoing development (or fixes, for stable branches).

On the other hand, there are upstreams where "releasing" means "make a
release branch, run autotools and/or doxygen, add all these auto-gene-
rated files to the branch, and tag that". IMHO it's good practice to
discourage this.

> git-dpm creates some git branch head for the upstream branch. But I
> realized that I usually remove this git branch manually directly afterwards
> whenever it creates it.

Is there any advantage to doing so? If not: wouldn't it be easier,
long-term, to file a bug requesting to drop this behavior? ;-)

--
-- Matthias Urlichs