Switching to systemd - statistics Was: Being part of a community and behaving

On Thu, Nov 13, 2014 at 03:34:32PM +0200, Riku Voipio wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 13, 2014 at 02:19:41PM +0100, Florian Lohoff wrote:
> > I meanwhile see the systemd issue as a social problem within debian. There are
> > design issues which are REALLY controversial. In the past Debian did good by
> > delaying adoption of controversial technical issues e.g. devfs and waited in a
> > conservative way until dust settled and there was roughly a consensus.
> > Sometimes this lead to better approaches to see the light e.g. udev.
>
> > This has changed - Debian has changed.
>
> > It seems we need to rush in all interesting stuff without looking forward past
> > some months - Today systemd might be THE solution to some peoples problems. Is it
> > tomorrow? I doubt it.
>
> Uhm, systemd was uploaded to debian first in 2010. Are you saying 4 years is
> too much of a rush? What would be your view of a reasonable schedule?

Released to our users in mid 2013 without most of the controversal bloat
we are talking about now.

Installation with either

	You are about to do something potentially harmful.
	To continue type in the phrase 'Yes, do as I say!' ?]

or with

	systemd can be installed alongside sysvinit and will not change the
	behaviour of the system out of the box.  This is intentional.  To test
	systemd, add:

	init=/bin/systemd

How many users actually did this?

https://qa.debian.org/popcon-graph.php?packages=systemd

before 2014 and the begin of the debate - less than 1000

Less than 1000 while sysvinit beeing at 170k is 0.5%.

Compare that to the exim4 vs. postfix debate - We have postfix at 30K
constantly growing since 2007 and exim4 at 120K - thats 25% - And still we dont
switch to postfix by default.

I dont get it.

Flo
--