Re: RFC: DEP-14: Recommended layout for Git packaging repositories

Simon McVittie writes ("Re: RFC: DEP-14: Recommended layout for Git packaging repositories"):
> On 12/11/14 05:54, Mathieu Parent wrote:
> > Also, the vendor/* branches heads should be at a descendent commit of
> > the corresponding upstream branch, diffing only by the debian dir.
> Concrete example: suppose you maintain an implementation of "hello
> world", with a Debian patch changing hello.c to say puts ("hello,
> Debian") instead of puts ("hello, world").

As I read Raphael's proposal, different branches may have different
contents.  Raphael defines a thing called a `packaging branch'
(terminology is from git-dpm, I think).  A packaging branch is like
this:

> In git-dpm, after "git checkout debian/sid", hello.c would contain
> "hello, Debian", *and* there would be a patch in debian/patches/ to
> change it from "hello, world" to "hello, Debian". AIUI, dgit also works
> best in this arrangement (or might even require it?)

dgit requires it.

> In the gbp-pq world, after "git checkout debian/sid", hello.c would
> contain "hello, world", but there would be a patch in debian/patches/ to
> change it from "hello, world" to "hello, Debian".

If you check out such a git tree, and say dpkg-buildpackage, what
happens ?

I would much prefer it if branches with different layouts had
different conventional branch names!

Ian.