Re: RFC: DEP-14: Recommended layout for Git packaging repositories

Hi!

On Wed, 2014-11-12 at 15:38:59 +0800, Paul Wise wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 12, 2014 at 3:34 PM, Gergely Nagy wrote:
> > I'd like to note that there are very good reasons for a debian-only,
> > overlay-style packaging repository too. This section should, in my
> > opinion, at least acknowledge that, and briefly mention it as an option.
> > I find it a bit sad that it was outright discouraged.
>
> Personally I wouldn't use anything other than debian-only repos, at
> least for those where I have a choice. I also actively avoid
> contributing to packages that don't use such repos.

Exactly. In addition I also only tend to «git clone» native packages,
for anything else I just simply «apt-get source» and can be pretty sure
what I will get, because the alternatives are just annoying.

As a maintainer and upstream, I also find crawling the packaging repos
for many of the RPM based distros, Gentoo and BSDs port collections for
example, actually way more pleasant and clear than many of the Debian
packaging repos with packaging bits mixed with upstream code TBH, because
they only have the build recipes and possibly patches, so I don't need
to know their tools or path layouts to be able to find the packaging
bits, because they are just obviously there, in front of you, alone.

Not to mention the “unholy” practice of having to store autogenerated
stuff shipped only in release tarballs in a git repo! :)

I also fantasize sometimes of a day where the whole distribution would
be stored on VCSs (per package) with a debian-only layout, so that I
could have a local copy for the whole archive, taking only a couple of
GiB at most, instead of the monstrosity of a complete exploded sources
archive (according to <http://sources.debian.net/stats/>, that's currently
205 GiB, w/o including git history, which could easily double that
size); and don't tell me space is cheap, because that does not take
into account the downloading, nor the huge amount of wasted space if
you only want the packaging bits.

Even though it might be more convenient for the maintainer, in general
I find the mixed up repos to be a disservice to the rest of the world.

Regards,
Guillem