Re: RFC: DEP-14: Recommended layout for Git packaging repositories

On Nov 11, Raphael Hertzog <hertzog@debian.org> wrote:

>   QUESTION: some people have argued to use debian/master as the latest
>   packaging targets sometimes sid and sometimes experimental. Should we
>   standardize on this? Or should we explicitly allow this as an alternative?
Whatever the decision will be on debian/master, I think that master
should be at the very least an option.

> When releasing a Debian package, the packager should create and push
> a signed tag named `<vendor>/<version>`. For example, a Debian maintainer
I am attaching the simple "git debtag" command that I use on my
packages, in the hope that somebody will find a good home for it. :-)

> If the Git workflow in use imports the upstream sources from released
> tarballs, this should be done under the "upstream" namespace. By default,
> the latest upstream version should be imported in the `upstream/latest`
> branch and when packages for multiple upstream versions are maintained
> concurrently, one should create as many upstream branches as required.
I do not think that concurrently importing multiple upstream versions is
the common case, so just the simple "upstream" that many packages are
currently using should be allowed as well.

--
ciao,
Marco

VER="$(dpkg-parsechangelog --show-field Version)"

if [ -z "$VER" ]; then
  echo "Could not parse the changelog!" >&2
  exit 1
fi

VER="$(echo "$VER" | sed -e 's/~/_/g' -e 's/:/%/g')"

# is there a simple and reliable way to determine if a package is native?
if git tag | grep -q '^debian/'; then
  TAG="debian/$VER"
else
  TAG="v$VER"