Re: RFC: DEP-14: Recommended layout for Git packaging repositories

On Wed, 12 Nov 2014, Ian Jackson wrote:
> > It doesn't make much sense to have an standard unless there's also a plan to
> > implement using it.
>
> I thought Raphael was trying to document existing practice.

The problem is that existing practices are not uniform and vary between
helper tools (often without good reasons, just because they started
independently).

So I'm certainly basing my work on some common existing conventions and
I'm not changing things where it doesn't bring any value, but there is
definitely some work to do to make the various tools use the recommended
layout by default.

For instance, git-buildpackage uses by default the branches "master" and
"upstream" and do not use the recommended "debian/" prefix (while it does
add the "debian/" prefix for the tags it generates).

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog ◈ Debian Developer