Re: Two years later and still no netatalk3 in jessie?

Hi Adrian,

> On Thu, Aug 28, 2014 at 01:21:04PM -0400, Igor Bernstein wrote:
>
>> - jessie freeze happens in 2 months
>
> Happened in the meantime :-/
>
>> 2014/8/4 - Adrian updated the package to 3.1.3
>> adi's package (currently @ 3.1.3):
>> https://github.com/adiknoth/netatalk-debian
>
> JFTR, I'm at 3.1.6.
>

> The whole situation reminds me of wine, where Debian shipped the same
> outdated version for multiple releases.
>
> Even downstream distributions are suffering:
>
>  http://raspberrypi.stackexchange.com/questions/23985/why-is-netatalk-not-updated
>

> I'd say get some devs behind this, call the package netatalk3 and ship
> it in parallel. I had it running for months, upstream had worked on it
> for years, it's not that this is bleeding edge or untested.
IMHO the proper way of putting this package into focus is asking the
maintainers to file an RFH bug if you don't want help yourself.
Helping yourself can be submitting patches through BTS, packaging the
new version and uploading it to mentors.debian.net or even hiring
someone to do it for you.

> jessie without netatalk3 would be embarrassing at best, but more
> importantly, it would be frustrating for everyone who wants to use their
> Linux file servers as a time machine backup.
Most probably Jessie will not contain netatalk 3, but having it in
jessie-backports would be almost as good as having it in jessie.

> CC debian-devel for additional momentum. Please stop CCing this bug in
> case this turns into another bike shedding discussions on the ML.
Please try the RFH [1] way instead of CC-ing debian-devel.
Packages/bugs needing more attention is business as usual and the RFH
way is the standard procedure for dealing with it.

<personal opinion>
While the procedure for ensuring better care for our packages (filing
RFH, RFA, O bugs) do exist, we, maintainers are not proactive enough
using the procedures.
If you are a fellow DD/DM/sponsored uploader, please take a look at
the packages BTS lists under your name and think for a moment if the
package needs help or a new maintainer.
</personal opinion>

Cheers,
Balint