Re: Where to upload official OpenStack Debian images?

On Wed, Oct 29, 2014 at 11:53 AM, Thomas Goirand <zigo@debian.org> wrote:

> On 10/29/2014 12:54 AM, Steve McIntyre wrote:
> > On Wed, Oct 22, 2014 at 03:58:04PM +0200, Juerg Haefliger wrote:
> >> Hi,

> >> I'd love to be able to download Debian cloud images from an official
place.
> >> What is missing/required to make this happen? Can I help?
> >
> > Simple lack of time thus far, to be honest. :-(
> >
> > Thomas: where are your images currently?
>
> Hi Steve,
>
> I upload them to the HP cloud, but also over here:
> http://archive.gplhost.com/openstack-images/

Very good. Thanks for the pointer.

> Though this image contains the bootlogd patch to support logging on
> multiple consoles. I'm currently trying to make this updated in
> proposed-updates though (see: #767202).
>
> On 10/29/2014 05:13 AM, Martinx - ジェームズ wrote:
> > Lets build something like this:
> > https://cloud-images.ubuntu.com/locator/ec2/ but, for Debian, of
> > course... ?
> > I can help.
>
> Let's stick to the plan of distributing the images together with the
> Debian CDs.

What exactly does that mean, 'together with the CDs'?

> It's not the role of Debian to advertize for a particular
> provider like Amazon (even though it's IMO ok to maintain the images
> within large cloud service providers).

I don't think this is about promoting cloud providers. It's about providing
a central place for users to learn where official Debian images can be
found. Are you concerned about the effort to maintain such a site or about
Debian being perceived as favoring certain cloud providers or is it against
some Debian policy?

> You may also know that we already provide some images within AWS. See
> the debian-cloud list. I would recommend anyone that maintain images to
> advertize about them in that list rather than in debian-devel or on the
> Debian web site.

IMO it feels wrong for a potential user to have to hunt through mailing
lists to find and learn about official Debian cloud images. A central place
to download images (OpenStack, AWS, Docker, ...) is very useful, links to
providers that host such images would be a nice add-on for end users but I
can understand if there's resentment.

...Juerg