Adding and using repositories during package installation?

Hi,

I'm thinking about creating a metapackage to setup a software
development environment. It would not only have to depend on some
prerequisite packages, but also add repositories and install a package
from one of them. Is there an acceptable way to do that?

I guess I shouldn't use things like 'add-apt-repository' and ''apt-get
update' in maintainer scripts. I could probably add files to
/etc/apt/sources.list.d and /etc/apt/trusted.gpg.d. But how could I
perform the update required to install a package from one of the new
repositories?

Thanks
Malte