Re: Accepted tasksel 3.29 (source all) into unstable

On Tue, Oct 21, 2014 at 07:46:25PM +0200, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> Santiago Vila <sanvila@unex.es> wrote:
>         >    * Gnome only works on i386 and amd64, so default to xfce on other arches.
>         >      Closes: #765839 Thanks, Adam Borowski for testing.
>
>         Gnome only works on i386 and amd64?
>
> GNOME works on all Linux architectures.

Compiles yes, works not really.

> GNOME *without hardware 3D* will probably have big trouble running
> anywhere but on i386 and amd64.

This means it's useless for most developer and sysadmin work.  I for one
have only two non-phone computers currently attached to a monitor, yet for
example this machine I sit before right now has 23 full-system virtual
machines using four different virtualization/emulation methods with a
plethora of test setups inside (only 8 Debian...).  This count is so low
only because I use chroots/vservers for most work...  Five other machines
(two physical, three vservers) in the room and cellar have GUI installed,
reachable via ssh -X or via VNC.   I guess this is typical for a person
of our kind.

And you're trying to tell me that having to use a non-default desktop
environment on all these virtual machines is ok?  Even those whose very
purpose is to test programs on such environments?

> So in the real world, it depends on the architectures:
>       * real-world desktop powerpc hardware comes with hardware 3D and
>         free drivers

I have little clue there, I'm afraid.  I remember receiving a bug report (on
crawl-tiles which uses opengl) from a powerpc person whose graphics card
didn't sound like one of the Big Three, but that's all I know.

A description of a newest-and-greatest powerpc/ppc64el beef linked from
Slashdot today included on-board graphics -- that's a server-type box.

Some input from a person owning a physical powerpc machine could shed some
light here.

>       * real-world ARM hardware comes with hardware 3D and non-free
>         drivers

I have personally tested two distinct boxes with Mali GPU:
* Odroid U2
* Omega OAN133 (laptop)

The Mali 3D driver is non-free and not packaged in Debian.  On U2, I took
pre-made packages (hardkernel community), on Omega it's sunxi-mali.

I can also try Broadcom on a certain infamous armel/half-armhf machine, but
it'll take ages.

As for other SoCs, we got quite a few people who work with ARM
professionally.  Wookey and co, please enlighten us!

>       * not sure for mips* and s390

s390 doesn't have real display, so all GUI comes in the form of VNC and
such.  Which works in software.

As for mips, I _did_ see it do awesome OpenGL stuff, 1.5 decades ago!
I'm afraid I know nothing more recent :/

--
// If you believe in so-called "intellectual property", please immediately
// cease using counterfeit alphabets.  Instead, contact the nearest temple