Re: Migration from cron to cron-daemon?

Stephan Seitz <stse+debian@fsing.rootsland.net> writes:
> On Sat, Oct 18, 2014 at 08:07:25AM +0200, Andreas Metzler wrote:

>> Now systemd-cron is supposed to be fixed and bcron was changed in
>> August to provide the virtual package instead of "cron" which is why
>> there are new bug reports cropping up.

> So, if I want to write bug reports, what is now the correct expression
> for cron? cron-daemon|cron?

There are still a *lot* of packages that depend on cron rather than
cron-daemon.  See:

    http://users.teledisnet.be/ade15809/cron-daemon.html

I think this would be a good thing to fix, but it's rather late to do this
for jessie.

> Is this a release critical bug? As a testing user I now have problems
> using bcron.

Given that this is a migration that's barely been started, I think it
would be best for bcron-run to continue to Provide cron for the jessie
release.  Using the cron-daemon virtual package is clearly where we want
to end up, but it feels to me like there's too high of a risk of
regressing for bcron users in the next release by trying to do this now,
and I don't see any harm in bcron-run continuing to Provide cron for one
more release.  There will be time after the release to do a more
coordinated transition.

bcron-run should, of course, continue to provide cron-daemon as well.