Re: Migration from cron to cron-daemon?

On 2014-10-16 Stephan Seitz <stse+debian@fsing.rootsland.net> wrote:
> Is there currently a migration from „cron” to „cron-daemon” as virtual
> package?
>
> New packages like brcon-run don’t provide cron anymore but cron-daemon.
> And many packages like exim4-base or mgetty-fax haven’t changed their
> dependencies (and other packages their recommends).
>
> Some packages have already bug reports for this case. But shouldn’t this
> be a reason for a mass bug filling?

Hello,

to give a little bit of backstory:

cron is the real package, cron-daemon is the virtual package name
according to
<https://www.debian.org/doc/packaging-manuals/virtual-package-names-list.txt>.
This has not changed.

Up until recently there were exactly two packages providing the virtual
package cron-daemon in Debian, cron and systemd-cron. And the latter
provided the virtual package without having the complete functionality
as required by policy, most notably no support for /etc/etc/cron.d,
and even incomplete support for /etc/etc/cron.{daily,weekly,hourly}.
See #752376. Which is why packages that used policy mandated
cron functionality depended on cron instead of the virtual package.

Now systemd-cron is supposed to be fixed and bcron was changed in
August to provide the virtual package instead of "cron" which is why
there are new bug reports cropping up.

cu Andreas
so grateful to you.'