Re: Possible abuse of dpkg-deb -z9 for xz compressed binary packages

On Thu, Sep 25, 2014 at 10:23:19PM +0800, Thomas Goirand wrote:
> On 09/25/2014 06:02 PM, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
> > What about the buildd machines that your packages are being built on?
[...]
> Also, only OpenStack specific packages are compressed with -z9, other
> Python modules which may be used for generic purpose have the -z9 option
> only enabled on *my* computer when I build: the debian/rules has an
> optional include (prefixed with a minus sign) that fixes the option, and
> in the buildd servers, the file wont be there, so the option wont be
> activated. I think it's the best trade-off.

That does change things a bit, yes.

> > 670M is a lot of memory, especially if you don't need it.
>
> As wrote by others earlier, that's the amount of memory needed for
> compression. 65 MB of RAM is needed for decompression. That's nothing!!!

That statement was meant together with the one about buildd machines. If
you're not doing it on anything but your own machine, it's slightly less
annoying.

Still, I think a statement like "X amount of RAM is nothing!!!" is
dangerously close to "640K should be enough for everyone".

--
It is easy to love a country that is famous for chocolate and beer

  -- Barack Obama, speaking in Brussels, Belgium, 2014-03-26