Re: Possible abuse of dpkg-deb -z9 for xz compressed binary packages

On Tue, Sep 02, 2014 at 01:24:40PM +0200, Thorsten Glaser wrote:
> On Tue, 2 Sep 2014, Changwoo Ryu wrote:
>
> > In my quick experiments with some font packages, "-Sextream -z9"
> > option still gives  ~4% smaller size than the default. IMO this is
> > still significant for big font packages.
>
> Maybe, but please stick to -Sextreme -z7 at most, nevertheless.

For any standardish font, taking any extra memory is a no-no.  You might be
running in a chroot on a 256MB RAM phone, etc.

On the other hand, for a 400MB game, not using -z9 is a pure waste of space.

--
// If you believe in so-called "intellectual property", please immediately
// cease using counterfeit alphabets.  Instead, contact the nearest temple