Re: Possible abuse of dpkg-deb -z9 for xz compressed binary packages

On 09/25/2014 06:02 PM, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
> Because you can't know what your users *actually* use? Let's say someone
> wants to use openstack on a bunch of ARM devices or some such, and they
> *don't* have two gigs of RAM?

I'd be curious what kind of workload you'd be running on this kind of
RAM footprint.

> What about the buildd machines that your packages are being built on?

Most of my packages are arch independent (eg: Python), so not affected
(for the moment).

Also, only OpenStack specific packages are compressed with -z9, other
Python modules which may be used for generic purpose have the -z9 option
only enabled on *my* computer when I build: the debian/rules has an
optional include (prefixed with a minus sign) that fixes the option, and
in the buildd servers, the file wont be there, so the option wont be
activated. I think it's the best trade-off.

> 670M is a lot of memory, especially if you don't need it.

As wrote by others earlier, that's the amount of memory needed for
compression. 65 MB of RAM is needed for decompression. That's nothing!!!

> The "memory is
> cheap nowadays" argument is a fallacy, because that'll always be true
> (RAM has been getting cheaper since the 1940s, essentially; that doesn't
> mean you should just waste it for no particularly good reason other than
> "I'm lazy")

The "I'm lazy" isn't the reason. Getting the result which I consider
"the best" is.

Thomas Goirand (zigo)