Re: Seeking help with OpenVPN scripts and systemd

On 24/09/14 11:45, Martin Wuertele wrote:
> Last time I used n-m for OpenVPN it could only launch one VPN, not
> multiple ones. Has that changed?

Yes, I've had home and office VPNs up at the same time.

(Obviously if you have more than one VPN that wants to provide the
default route, or more generally a route into the same IP-range, there's
going to be a conflict, probably with an arbitrarily-determined winner;
but I can access two differently-numbered subnets via two different
OpenVPN VPNs, and that functionality works fine.)

> Tough it seems systemd upstream is not
> happy with n-m either as they're writing their own network management
> suite.

My understanding is that they recommend NetworkManager or ConnMan (which
are competitors, and fill a similar niche) for dynamic / mobile /
wireless situations; whereas systemd-networkd is intended to be more
like a competitor for ifupdown or equivalent, in simpler or more static
situations like "my server has two network cards with static IP
addresses" or "my NAS has one Ethernet socket which gets its address via
dhcp".