Re: FSF and Debian join forces to help free software users find the hardware they need

Hi Neil,

On Mon, Sep 08, 2014 at 04:43:03PM +0100, Neil McGovern wrote:
[...]
> The compatibility information comes from users testing hardware on
> systems running only free software. Previously, h-node site guidelines
> required they be running one of the FSF's endorsed distributions [2].
> While the FSF does not include Debian on this list because the Debian
> project provides a repository of nonfree software, the FSF does
> acknowledge that Debian's main repository, which by default is the only
> place packages come from, is completely free.

This paragraph is phrased carefully so as to make it ambiguous whether
the FSF acknowledges that Debian's main repository is the only place
packages come from by default. Do they?

If so, it would be nice if the relevant paragraph on [1] would be
updated. If not, I would still like to see some citation as to why they
believe debian-installer "...in some cases recommends these nonfree
firmware files for the peripherals on the machine". As I explain in [2],
I don't think that's true.

Thanks,

[1] http://www.gnu.org/distros/common-distros.html
[2] http://grep.be/blog/en/computer/debian/Is_Debian_non-free/

--
It is easy to love a country that is famous for chocolate and beer

  -- Barack Obama, speaking in Brussels, Belgium, 2014-03-26