Re: Licensing issue in images files on several packages

Hi,

On Montag, 4. August 2014, Clement Hermann wrote:
> while preparing my packaging of Tails' OpenPGP Applet (ITP #756404), it
> was pointed to me that there were issues on images files shipped with it
>
> : they where licensed using CC-BY-SA 2.0, which is not DFSG-compliant.

I might be wrong, but AFAICS nobody explained in reply here or at
http://lists.debian.org/20130125003926.GA12604@falafel.plessy.net (-project in
January 2013), why this should be the case.

Especially as this doesnt seem to have been enforced all the times, as there
are packages which such a licence in the archive:

> They seemed indeed derived from icons using an old tango theme, which
> were indeed licensed CC-BY-SA 2.0 at the time.

that was the non upgradable licence, right?

> I saw that on my Sid system, some packages have the same issue :
> rgrep -rl 'by-sa/2\.0' /usr/share/icons/*/scalable |xargs dlocate
> --package-only
> gitg
> network-manager-gnome
> soundconverter
> thunar-volman
> xfburn
> xfce4-battery-plugin
> xfce4-fsguard-plugin
> xfce4-power-manager-data

If there is no reply to this issue yet again (in say two weeks) I'd recommend
filing bugs about this. RC bugs. This also follows nicely the tradition of
making the freeze longer by filing bugs late ;-/

Or upload OpenPGP Applet and hope that the ftpmasters will let it through,
based on the above.

Or both ;)

> Of course, we (Tails) will try to do so for OpenPGP Applet in Tails, but
> we could use some help.

Good luck!

cheers,
	Holger