Re: Proper notation for common licenses

On 23/09/14 09:01, Joachim Breitner wrote:
> (Although I find that unfortunate, and makes me much less motivated to
> find out whether a license that looks like a BSD license is actually
> one of them on the list, if I still have to include it in the file.)

There are enough subtly different variants of the BSD license family
that it's safest to copy and paste the exact license that the copyright
holder used, in any case; and as far as I'm aware, clauses like

 2. Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright
    documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.

mean that you're required to reproduce the license somewhere in the .deb
regardless of what copyright-format might have to say on the subject.
The copyright file is as good a place to do so as any.