Re: Can a leaf package require SSE2 on i386?

Le dimanche 14 septembre 2014 à 07:47 +0100, Sébastien Villemot a
écrit :
> So I have two options: either ship a i386 package that only works on
> SSE2 processors (ideally giving a meaningful error message when run on
> older CPUs); or drop support for i386, which is a disservice to our
> users

The silliness of the second option should be enough to make the choice.
Mentioning in the description, and in an error message at launch time,
that the package doesn’t work without SSE2, should be more than enough.

> Also note that my understanding is that some i386 buildds are not
> SSE2-capable (because they are qemu guests configured as such). So, if I
> were to ship an i386 package requiring SSE2, the testsuite would fail on
> those buildds (meaning that I would have to make the testsuite non
> fatal, or ask for blacklisting of those buildd).

I have doubts about the existence of such qemu guests that wouldn’t be
KVM-enabled.

In any case, you have the option to disable the testsuite depending on
the contents of /proc/cpuinfo.

Cheers,
--
 .''`.      Josselin Mouette