Re: Can a leaf package require SSE2 on i386?

On Sun, Sep 14, 2014 at 07:47:27AM +0100, Sébastien Villemot wrote:
> The bottom line is that julia needs SSE2 (and porting it to the x87 FPU
> requires changes that are beyond what I am willing/able to do, see [1]
> for more details). And the presence of SSE2 is not guaranteed on the
> i386 architecture.

A related topic was discussed during the bootstrap sprint[0], see
section 2 (small part of that long mail). There, the topic of having
optimized builds of packages was discussed. This technique can also be
used to only provide optimized builds without providing non-optimized
builds. It is not available in sid today. Please get in touch with Aron
Xu (CCed).

Helmut

[0] https://lists.debian.org/20140829095214.GV19999@stoneboat.aleph1.co.uk