ok to ship vaporware in Debian?

You have a great piece of software.  It is popular, so even included as
convenience code copies in other projects.  You choose to clean that up
and package it separately.

...except it turns out that you cannot compile the code - source exist
as ActionScript3 but the free compiler in swftools fails somehow.

What to do?  You just put a disclaimer in long description, explaining
that this package doesn't really do what it is supposed to do.

That's the story so far of libjs-mediaelement, which entered testing few
hours ago.

 Instead of offering an HTML5 player to modern browsers and a totally
 separate Flash player to older browsers, MediaElement.js upgrades them
 with custom Flash and Silverlight plugins that mimic the HTML5
 MediaElement API.
 .
 The current package does not yet provide the Flash and Silverlight
 plugins.

Might seem fine - it is a javascript-based video player, right?

Wrong: Upstream describes it at <http://mediaelementjs.com/> as "pure
HTML and CSS" with "Flash and Silverlight players that mimic the HTML5
MediaElement API for older browsers".

In other words, mediaelement.js is a so-called polyfill - it does
nothing on modern browsers, and mimics modern features on older
browsers.

...except it really does nothing when that mimic'ing code is missing.

Can someone please advice: Should I reassign bug#760297 to the tech-ctte
or am I being crazy (and a pain in the butt) here?

 - Jonas