x32: a success story, and thanks to you all!

Hi everyone,

some might have noticed that, once the Debian Linux Kernel Maintainers
activated x32 support in the standard Debian kernels, I cross-graded my
machine at work to it.

I would like to say thanks to the various maintainers involved in this:

• Aurélien for debian-ports, as before with m68k
• Daniel for agreeing I could help
• the dpkg maintainers for making this possible
• the apt maintainers for making it, while not always pain-free,
  surprisingly well-working (e.g. I had to
  $ sudo apt-get --purge dist-upgrade libkolabxml1:i386-
  to upgrade kdepim, but then, being conservative and keeping
  packages in the arch they are installed for is probably
  better than overzealously installing them)
• Michael Vogt especially for adding the above syntax to apt-get ☺
• various package maintainers and upstreams for quickly adding
  Multi-Arch annotations (e.g. gettext) or patches to their
  packages or actively working on it (I just noticed nss/nspr
  will soon work; I still need them for :i386 too)

I’m very impressed with both that cross-grading works well
and that running an only partially cross-graded M-A system
works amazingly well, modulo the ability to run dselect.
And it all works without systemd, even ;-)

Thanks to you all!

There are a few missing things. klibc builds for amd64 on x32,
which I will probably fix myself as it needs porting (upstream
is happy about me doing it); grub needs porting (or needs to
build for amd64 or i386 on x32) which I may have a look at
later; various multimedia stuff needs touching or at least
disabling asm code (Daniel looks at it, and I will do so too),
and we need src:linux to build linux-image-3.14-2-amd64:x32
so people can run a non-M-A x32 installation eventually (once
the bootloader issue is sorted out, but I imagine LOADLIN.EXE
would also work), and until then, gcc-4.8:i386 needs to work
with binutils:x32 instead of requiring binutils:i386 (which
I worked around by hand-editing /var/lib/dpkg/status, yes I
know, bad me). But I’ve not heard of anything or anybody that
actively stands in the way of the x32 port progressing, now.

I just wanted to write a pure-positive port once in a while,
and express my gratitude to my fellow Debian Developers.

Sending from my work eMail because I consider all my work on
the x32 port, even if much is done in my spare time, also a
contribution by tarent who are letting me “play around” a bit
as long as I get my tasks done (and enjoy the synergy effects).

Please consider following up in private to keep the mailing
list noise down, unless you feel your response is something
you want to share with hundreds or thousands of subscribers.

bye,
//mirabilos
- --
tarent solutions GmbH
Rochusstraße 2-4, D-53123 Bonn • http://www.tarent.de/
Tel: +49 228 54881-393 • Fax: +49 228 54881-235
HRB 5168 (AG Bonn) • USt-ID (VAT): DE122264941
Geschäftsführer: Dr. Stefan Barth, Kai Ebenrett, Boris Esser, Alexander Steeg