Re: x32: a success story, and thanks to you all!

On Fri, 2014-09-05 at 12:51 +0200, Thorsten Glaser wrote:
[...]
> There are a few missing things. klibc builds for amd64 on x32,
> which I will probably fix myself as it needs porting (upstream
> is happy about me doing it); grub needs porting (or needs to
> build for amd64 or i386 on x32) which I may have a look at
> later; various multimedia stuff needs touching or at least
> disabling asm code (Daniel looks at it, and I will do so too),
> and we need src:linux to build linux-image-3.14-2-amd64:x32
> so people can run a non-M-A x32 installation eventually
[...]

No, they should add amd64 as a foreign architecture.  The wrong-
architecture kernel packages are a workaround from pre-multi-arch days
that I don't wish to extend.

Several things are still broken in kernel support; at least:
- Many ioctls <https://lkml.org/lkml/2014/8/13/618>
- Syscall auditing <https://lkml.org/lkml/2014/5/28/789>

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
Experience is directly proportional to the value of equipment destroyed.