Re: Raising priority of Debian packages

On Sun, Aug 31, 2014 at 8:46 AM, Russ Allbery wrote:

> The problem that set off this entire discussion is the question of whether
> we want to raise the priority of perl, perl-modules, and
> init-system-helpers to important to match rsyslog, move the Perl modules
> used by init-system-helpers to perl-core (thereby adding them to
> Essential), or take some third course of action.  That's well worth
> discussing in a broader context, and I feel like trying to phrase that
> question as a general discussion of the role of priorities in Debian is
> not very helpful in starting that discussion.

I am missing the justification for the last paragraph of Debian Policy
section 2.5. I feel that it may have been due to a limitation of our
tools in the past and that these days there are zero downsides to this
situation (debootstrap/etc handle it fine) so we should probably
remove the paragraph from policy.

There is also a downside to raising priorities in this way; raising
the priority of dependencies of higher-priority packages means that if
implementations of higher-priority packages change and the (now higher
priority) dependencies are no longer needed, we have to do work to
revert those changes. I think they would end up as cruft that is
forgotten about or just cause busywork that we can avoid in the first
place by not raising priority of dependencies.

--
bye,
pabs

https://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise