Re: Standardizing the layout of git packaging repositories

On 25 August 2014 14:34, Barry Warsaw <barry@python.org> wrote:
I'm beginning to think that what we want is for gbp and git-dpm to
interoperate, such that any individual maintainer can use whichever tool they
choose, but would still allow the team to adhere to consensus recommendations,
so there's no guesswork involved.  E.g. the ultimate artifacts would end up
being the same, regardless of whether you used gbp, git-dpm, or plain vanilla
git + quilt.  One example of a superficial differences is the tag names used
by default.  They're different between the two helpers, but really needn't be.

Unless I am mistaken, I think both  gbp pq and git-dpm store different data in git, so cannot interoperate on the same tree.

i.e. by the looks of it, gbp pq only bothers to keep the most recent set of patches in git, and stores the history of old patches  old versions of debian/patches/.

Where as git-dpm uses git for the authoritative source for past patches, and also keeps track of stuff in debian/.git-dpm.

Am still learning how this stuff works, but so far I don't think interoperation is possible. It looks like decision needs to be made on a per tree basis.
--
Brian May <brian@microcomaustralia.com.au>