Re: Standardizing the layout of git packaging repositories

On Aug 24, 2014, at 08:33 PM, Russ Allbery wrote:

>git-buildpackage's gbp pq system is what I use.  I believe git-dpm is more
>complicated and comprehensive, but gbp pq is simple enough in its
>operations that it doesn't take long to wrap your mind around it.

git-dpm seems pretty easy to use as well.  YMMV, but ultimately I think both
helpers achieve the same goals.  Over in debian-python@ we're having some good
discussions related to moving the Debian Python team over to git, and many
folks have contributed useful stories and experiences.

I'm beginning to think that what we want is for gbp and git-dpm to
interoperate, such that any individual maintainer can use whichever tool they
choose, but would still allow the team to adhere to consensus recommendations,
so there's no guesswork involved.  E.g. the ultimate artifacts would end up
being the same, regardless of whether you used gbp, git-dpm, or plain vanilla
git + quilt.  One example of a superficial differences is the tag names used
by default.  They're different between the two helpers, but really needn't be.

-Barry