Re: Standardizing the layout of git packaging repositories

On Fri, Aug 15, 2014 at 08:17:16PM +0200, Marco d'Itri wrote:
> On Aug 15, Raphael Hertzog <hertzog@debian.org> wrote:
> > - are there other important things to standardize?
> Do not try to make other people change their workflows without evident
> benefits (pro tip: "standardization" in itself is not one) or they will
> be annoyed and just ignore your work.

I send a lot of one-off patches to packages.  I like to file a bug and
follow it up with a patch.  Unfortunately, everybody doing things a
different way makes it unpleasant to do that.  (And yes, I know about
README.source.)

Right now, I just build the source package repeatedly until it works,
unless the package doesn't build twice in a row, in which case I swear
repeatedly and no patch is sent.  If there's a standard workflow, it
makes my life easier and results in a patch that works better for the
maintainer.