Re: Standardizing the layout of git packaging repositories

On Sun, 17 Aug 2014, Thomas Goirand wrote:

> Like I wrote in another post, "master" doesn't express anything.

ACK.

> All of this is error prone. Using upstream tags and merging them rather
> than branches avoid troubles. I have yet to see a case where using
> upstream tags wasn't practical.

There are cases where upstream tags are not on upstream’s development
branch (or release branch), but one or several commits removed, or even
completely separate. This mostly happens with repositories converted
from CVS or SVN, though. I’ve seen this a lot.

Charles Plessy wrote:

> codename.  Otherwise, people will be confused with debian/rc-buggy.

Well, just use “experimental” for experimental, but otherwise,
use lenny/squeeze/wheezy/jessie/sid as those are the names that
are going to stick, which {,old}stable and testing are not.

bye,
//mirabilos
--
15:41⎜<Lo-lan-do:#fusionforge> Somebody write a testsuite for helloworld :-)