Re: Standardizing the layout of git packaging repositories

On Sun, 2014-08-17 at 09:00 +0200, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> On Sun, 17 Aug 2014, Thomas Goirand wrote:
> > Well, I have nothing against derivative/downstream distros, but if
> > you're about to do a new DEP, please consider Debian first. In such
> > case, debian/unstable makes a lot more sense than just debian/master.
> > Like I wrote in another post, "master" doesn't express anything.
>
> master does express something to people who are using git, it's the main
> development trunk.
[...]

For linux and linux-tools, we usually have both active branches for both
unstable and experimental.  The experimental branch is the one called
'trunk' (not 'master', as we're still using svn :-().

I doubt these are the only examples.  If there's any question about
whether master targets unstable or experimental, that's a good reason to
be explicit and not use 'master' at all.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
The two most common things in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity.