Re: Standardizing the layout of git packaging repositories

On Fri, 15 Aug 2014, Russ Allbery wrote:

> md@Linux.IT (Marco d'Itri) writes:

> > The first step is to determine which problem you are trying to solve.

Surprisingly insightful, this one.

> I want to be able to check out a git repository and do packaging work and
> an upload, without having to pull any external artifacts from somewhere
> else.

This does not work in Debian: you always need the .orig.tar.* file,
at least for the upload, for non-native packages. And that is by
design in Debian. The repository is the helper. The *standard*
Debian workflow operates on the .dsc file instead, which (when pulled
via dget) contains everything you need to start working.

Actually, most of the time when working, you don’t even really need
a VCS repository, I found out… (I’m now keeping many less packages
in a VCS than before).

bye,
//mirabilos
--
Sometimes they [people] care too much: pretty printers [and syntax highligh-
ting, d.A.] mechanically produce pretty output that accentuates irrelevant